Playmakers is a simulation that challenges the participants’ ability to handle critical aspects of team and project leadership. A job that goes beyond planning and budgeting.
Playmakers focuses on leadership rather than management, and it urges you to think: How will my choices as a leader affect team morale, performance and stakeholder engagement throughout the game? The nature of the game allows participants to approach difficult leadership tasks in a safe forum and learn with and from each other.
LEADING ATTITUDES AND AGENDAS
When leading teams and projects, expectations and scope often change over time, and many different stakeholders are involved. Often, steering committees define and redefine goals and visions while other stakeholders – either internal or external - have agendas that might influence the team or project.
Playmakers trains participants in the task of leading people: engaging team members, steering committees, and others that might influence the team or task at hand. The simulation focuses on leading individuals as well as groups – on motivation and conflict management as well as communication and negotiation.
SIMULATING THE UNFORSEEN
Playmakers is based upon a concrete case that defines the setting. During the three phases of the simulation, participants are challenged to lead a concrete project that changes character as they progress. Unforeseen difficulties arise, and goals and visions are reformulated.
The participants must relate to the long-term goals of the project as well as the crises that will inevitably arise. The participants work in teams to ensure knowledge sharing and joint learning. The simulation supports participants in the ability to analyze, recognize and handle organizational, group-based, and individual dilemmas within team and project leadership.
Playmakers is based on a number of recognised leadership and project models and theories – among those are Daniel Goleman, J.R. Katzenbach and Bruce W. Tuckman.
Playmakers is used by numerous organizations including Danfoss, ISS, Novo Nordisk and on various master programmes.
”Playmakers gives a fantastic insight into the many different aspects that demand consideration in a big company – both on a political and a personal level - to ensure optimal performance. The simulation offered us a great platform for common understanding about what good project management is to us –the way we do it.”
Søren Skafe Overgaard, CEO, e-Types
- As a integrated part of talent and leadership academies and training programmes.
- As training for specific teams that would like to be better at team collaboration, project leadership and stakeholder management.
- As a training tool for facilitating discussions on organisational development, project management, leadership understanding or cross-organisational collaboration.
- Played in groups of 3 to 6 persons.
- Can be played in a half or a full day or as part of a longer training programme.
- Can be facilitated by Workz or by your own employees who have been certified by Workz.
- Playmakers is available in English and Danish.